Sunday, April 11, 2010

Clash of the Titans-- Ouch.

Mythology is highbrow stuff. "Clash of the Titans" was painfully lowbrow. It opened up with some attempt at explaining who was who and what was going on but after the summation it really went downhill. The script was so poorly written that it seemed like the people making the movie decided to just give it up, get it finished, and rake in some 3-D action/adventure dollars. I mean I enjoy a good action movie but this was just bad. I kept on asking myself "was there a contest for 8th graders to write a script and then hollywood would produce it for the winner or what?". But even that didn't make sense because how could something this bad win an 8th grade contest?

For a little bit I was upset that I had paid the movie fee and the obscene 3-D fees to attend such a poor output. Acting? Bad. Effects? Meh. Script? Awful. Then I had a turn of mind. This movie was SO bad that I was enjoying it. I don't know if it was the guys behind me going "dude" every time some thing got crushed by a scorpion claw or someone was killed by a sword, the complete lack of a promising script, or the abrupt climaxes of action scenes that the whole movie was building up towards. Taking my mythologies class this semester I have an inkling about some mythology but seeing it portrayed like this made it void of all intellectual value. Knowing highbrow material made this film all the more enjoyable because it was so transparently bad that it made it funny. At times I think that knowing highbrow material doesn't make one a "snob" but it helps that person to enjoy the lowbrow stuff even more because.

Do any of you remember when the Procrastinator was in Linfield and would show those obscure movies that more often than not were hilariously awful? That would have been a perfect premier for this movie. I feel that "Clash of the Titans" will end up being on the council of a Valhalla of terrible movies that are entertainingly bad.

Favorite Quote: (Perseus talking about Medussa) "Don't look that bitch in the eyes." At this point I was about ready to throw chocolate covered almonds at the screen.

1 comment:

  1. I was a bit disappointed too. My sister and I went through the whole movie chanting, "that's wrong, that's wrong." But despite the lack of plot and terrible lines, I couldn't help enjoying myself. I have grown up watching horrible action flicks with my dad. We used to pick movies based on the covers (explosions and rugged men). Besides, it had Liam Neeson, and I love him.

    ReplyDelete