Sunday, April 11, 2010

Paper Topic-- New & Improved

So I think I'm going to have to scrap the whole If on a Winter's Night a Traveler paper idea. I think I'm just in too much of a time crunch to read the book again, do some quality research, and write a good paper... especially considering the Capstone class and various group projects across the classes. Could I do it if I had to?... probably. Do I want to?... not so much. So this is where I abandon ship. Goodbye If on a Winter's Night a Traveler paper-- yet again I push you off into the future.

Don't despair, my new paper topic isn't bad. It's just different and my focus is changing. With Traveler I was going to focus on the theme of 'life as fiction' but now I'm headed towards '20 minute lifetime' and 'life as dream'. The text I will view through these lenses is actually the same as the work I have chosen for my capstone paper The Last Temptation of Christ by Nikos Kazantzakis. On my other blog for capstone I've done a little discussion about the work and I will avoid repeating myself about some of the lower level stuff... go check it out if you feel that's necessary.

Anyway I'm sure my paper will end up by needing to me to give a spoiler alert for those of you who haven't read the book or seen the Scorsese film by the same name. The reason I say that my paper may need a spoiler alert is because I will mainly be discussing the "last" temptation that Jesus experiences in the novel, in other words, the end of the book. For those of you who have seen the movie, or preferably read the book, you should be able to guess how I'm going to approach discussing the novel but for those of you who haven't experienced this magnificent story before it may be enlightening and spur you on to reading the book for yourself.

Perhaps I will address the "controversial" nature of the work but I feel like in a college literature course I should be able to gloss over that without too much trouble. If you're offended by the work just plug your ears and think about chocolate bars and sunshine while I'm presenting:)

No comments:

Post a Comment