Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Last Blog

I don't really have a whole lot to say. I know that sometimes at the end of a class it is appropriate to get all sentimental and such but I don't really feel that way. It's not that this class hasn't inspired strong feelings towards its' content and its' people but sometimes the best end to something good is sweet, short and memorable.

I guess what I really want to say in my last moments of text is that I've enjoyed this class immensely. During the middle of the semester I kind of fell of board for a while. Things were just too much with class, work, "the future" and all of that fun stuff. But I think I came back strong and will have finished off with strong devotion and commitment to the class. My favorite book of this semester in class was The Following Story by Cees Nooteboom. Although I was skeptical of it in the beginning I fell into the boat ride at the end and felt pulled away by the wonderful prose at the novels conclusion. Next time Dr. Sexson teaches this class I would like him to use If On A Winters Night A Traveler by Italo Calvino or at least Invisible Cities or something like that. Calvino is fantastic and I feel robbed that NONE of my college classes taught anything by him. Oh well, you don't have time for everything I guess.

All of the presentations were fantastic. I don't really think I have a typical "favorite" or anything like that. Just being able to see how everybody approached their individual paper topic and paper presentation made the whole experience wonderful. Groups also did a good job. It seems that everyone had a solid presentation put together somehow or another with Rio's help.

Also it was nice to hear what awards/ scholarships people received. Hearing of everyone's achievments really pushes me towards doing all I can in order to better myself. Competitiveness isn't bad if it yields progression. Anyway, knowing that I am in the presence of such a group of people dedicated to intellectualism up here in Montana is great. I couldn't ask for a better group of peers or professors and I will miss all of you even if I never said anything to you. You were a part of the milieu that made the MSU English Dept. a great place to study literature.

How to conclude... well, I guess if we learned anything this year it has been that the myth of the eternal return depicts that in fact we have done this all before-- 15 weeks, reading, presentations, final blogs and everything. If that is the case than I'm looking forward to seeing you all on the next go round.

--Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment